Saturday, February 2, 2013

Food Pushers - why are they so insistent?

So, I'm earnestly working to make a commitment to my health...sleep, eat well (Paleo and juicing), exercise, water and repeat.

I have a new favorite juicing recipe:
3 handfuls of spinach
1 lemon
1 granny smith apple
1/2 handful of parsley
2 persian cucumbers
1 knuckle of ginger
It usually yields about 16oz / 2 cups of juice.

It's like drinking freshness in a Mason jar.  YUM!

So, I have a little rant to get out there...it's about Food Pushers.
There always seems to be the food pusher there...the person who insists you can have just one cookie.  But, right now, I'm not eating sugar, wheat, grains, etc...
But, here comes the FOOD PUSHER who:
* leaves a bag of Hershey miniatures in the common area at work
* brings cookies (or other "treat") to work and says "your metabolism is high right now since you just worked out, c'mon...just have one, it won't kill you."

And over and again, I have to politely but firmly say "No, thank you!"

But the FOOD PUSHER persists... "No, thank you!"

Again... "No, Thank you!"

What is their deal?  

So frustrating.

So how do you deal with a food pusher?

1.  Politely say no. (the preferred choice)
2.  Accept the item and then discretely toss it away (I don't like doing this...first, I don't want the temptation and second, I don't want them to get into the habit of giving me sweets.)
3. Accept the item and have a bite or two.  (Again, another one I prefer not to do because I don't want to start down a slippery slope of eating things that I shouldn't)

I'm seeing and feeling progress.  My latest chart is provided for you to view.
My clothes are starting to feel looser and I am seeing progress at the gym (more strength).
So...I will push forward with my own convictions and commitments.
I had a moment of pride when someone at work asked me what I was doing because my clothes look looser on me!  Score!  That gave me a boost to keep at it!




3 comments:

  1. So difficult to handle. If you were with people that it would be no problem to show them your vulnerability, you could say something like "those sweets are a genuine threat to my health, and I fear my ability to set limits when I start eating that .... stuff. I don't think you realize how much your offer of these foods feels like a threat to my well being."

    I jokingly (sort of; I try to make it come off like a joke) say, "no thanks, that stuff will kill you." That works in many environments.

    There comes a point where that ... stuff doesn't look appealing any longer - it looks like what it is; cheap, mass produced ... stuff that has no value for any purpose. The difference in that .... stuff and a drug is only a matter of degree. Both can make you feel better if you are hooked, but it feels better, by a wide margin, to be "unhooked".

    There's a certain amount of pity that goes with being around folks who are still not on to that idea - imagine a life in which you can feel good without having to nibble on cheap, mass produced ... stuff, and one in which that's an essential component of "feeling good." Maybe I'm the only one, but I'd pick the former.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, as I think about it, the other part of "their deal" is that since they cannot resist, it comforts many of them if others around them cannot resist either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. misery loves company of sorts.

    ReplyDelete